April 1, 2020
I occasionally post on my IG stories telling people to ask me anything and I will answer those questions for them. I normally get about 10 good questions and then the other "questions" are spam for bot accounts wanting to send me nudes asking me to pay for followers ;) I have had some really good questions in the past and figured I could make a blog post about it.
So... here goes nothing -
1. What is your favorite type of session to photograph?
· Tough to say because they all bring me joy in some way or another, but I would say that engagements and boudoir are probably my favorites. Engagements are fun because the couple is normally still on their high from actually getting engaged. Emotions are high, which just leads to a really fun session. Boudoir is amazing for other reasons - watching womxn transform throughout the session is incredible. Often people are nervous beforehand but then, it's like they have come out on top and they are the boss of their bodies. Seeing them become more confident throughout the session is absolutely amazing!
2. Why don’t you share more boudoir photos?
· People ask me not to. These are incredibly intimate photos and a lot of people don’t want them to be on display for anyone to see. I respect everyone’s privacy and will not post any photos unless I am given permission to.
3. What did you do for work before you were a photographer?
· A lot of things! I started my business in 2016 and didn’t go full time until 2019. During those 3 years I had several jobs - I worked at an HOA management company (I am too much of a softie for that industry), I was a restaurant manager, an event manager for the same restaurant and for a local venue, and a venue manager for an event space. Before 2016, I had a lot of odd jobs - I worked at a restaurant, sales for an organic fruit orchard (Ela Family Farms), with the City of Fort Collins doing work in the sustainability sector (the only job I have ever had that had anything to do with my degree), and for a rafting company.
4. How do you know all these “dad-jokes”?
· Haha, I hear them from friends and just remember them. I have been saying them for so many years now, I just have a little dad joke dictionary in my brain. When I start them, often times clients share theirs with me and if I like them, I write them down and try to remember them, haha
5. Where is your favorite outdoor spot to shoot? Where is your favorite “urban setting” to shoot at?
· I mean we live in Colorado. It's pretty hard to even narrow it down to 50 of my favorite spots for outdoor locations. Anywhere that incorporates the mountains is going to be a favorite of mine!
· As for urban, it depends. If I could choose, I would take every urban shot in RiNo or other trendy/artsy areas. I absolutely love graffiti and street art! There is so much room for creativity and it has so much more meaning behind it usually! Why not encompass other local artists into your work?
6. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about owning and running a business?
· Favorite: flexibility - hands down. I create my own hours. I have never done well in a 9-5 type setting - I like being able to move around, do my own thing and I do not have to report to anyone.
· Least favorites: Haha, lots! Doing all my own accounting, spending way too much time on social media, and of course the unforeseen costs of running a business.
7. Do you like black and white or color better?
· This is tough! If you have looked at lots of my work, you can see that I love black and whites and include a lot of them in my work. That being said, color is what makes my style, my style, and I love those bold, moody tones!
8. Do you have any bucket list locations of places that you would like to work at?
· I basically want to go to every country in the world and I would love to work in every country in the world :). If I get any opportunities to work abroad, I will take it (assuming I can legally work there). That is probably not the answer you were looking for but when I have the travel bug as bad as I do, then that is the only answer I can give you!
9. Do you have a lot of “photographer” friends?
· I guess it depends on what you define as a lot, but I have some. I have a ton of photographer acquaintances but only a handful of them do I actually spend time with outside of “photography events” and such. I am definitely one of those people who will always be “community over competition” so I love meeting people in the industry! I like learning from them and sharing knowledge.
10. What are your favorite pizza toppings?
· Whoever asked this question, knows the way to a girl's heart. It really depends on where the pizza is from. My favorite pizza, hands down, is from Blue Pan Pizza (if you live in Denver, and haven’t had it, you are missing out!). I always get the zaa with artichokes and the ricotta dollops. If I am getting pizza from somewhere else, I usually get artichokes, roasted red peppers, and mushrooms. If I am looking for more of a “hangover pizza”, then I am going classic cheese with cream cheese. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about the Denver Pizza market so if you are looking for some recs, let me know - I got you!
PS. If fresh mozza is an option, always go with the fresh mozzaaaa!